Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Welcoming the Holidays


Hi all-
I hope the cold weather has brought all of your loved ones together. It certainly has for us in the Bartek household, as this weekend was our Christmas decorating weekend. I love decorating for the holidays because Robert and the kids and I all take part in it. Although Evan, who is 16, might be mad at us for not letting him go to the movies on Friday, and our 13-year-old Grace might be sulking over the pricey hand bag declined to get her, we still have this tradition that always brings us together.

Our decorations aren't too showy, but they are all very sentimental. From the red and white French birdhouses Robert and I got on our honeymoon, to the sock snowmen the kids made in first grade, to the personalied serving platter that has last year's Christmas card picture on it that Evan, Robert, and Grace all chipped in to give me a year ago, it's the stories behind the red and green adornments that make them so special.

Last night, after the kids were asleep, Robert told me to close my eyes and led me down the stairs. When he told me to open my eyes, I saw the Christmas tree was lit up, all of the family's gifts from Robert were under the tree, and our best golden candles cast a warm glow over all of our living room. I ended the night sitting on the couch admiring the tableau, a glass of wine in one hand, and Robert's palm in the other, knowing this was really what I wanted.

Blessings on all of you!

No comments: