Tuesday, November 25, 2008

All Done - What Next?

Last week I received the edits back from ALONG FOR THE RIDE. It was very satisfying to see it in its cleaned-up form, but now I'm in a quandary - what next?

I've been considering trying my hand at a historical for a while. Last year, I wrote one historical short story that required a fair amount of research - it was set in 1800's Australia - and I enjoyed the research much more than I expected. It was the small details of another time and place that gave the story spark: the sound of didgeroo at twilight in a mining camp, the compassion of the young women who became nurses and left home to live in tiny mining towns.

I'm intrigued - as are so many readers - by Scotland, a place I'd love to visit someday. I'm going to spend some time this holiday week - I'm in the mountains with my family enjoying long walks and popping fires and favorite old movies - reading some of the authors who are writing such compelling Scottish historicals. Then that can be my Christmas gift to myself - immersing myself in a story that's centuries and five thousand miles away...

No comments: